Wednesday 14 October 2009

My First Blog... :)

"At the tender age of 16, youth parliament member Oliver Phillips is already sending ripples through the world of politics." - Liz Pegg

I'm Oli Phillips, the Member of Youth Parliament for West Staffordshire, and I'm another of the 5 blogger's who will be sharing their thoughts with you, before that historic moment when your Youth Parliament representatives debate in the Commons Chamber on those famous green chairs! A debate which will be listened to an acted upon by the key decision makers in parliament.

Anyway, before all that jazz, I suppose I should tell you more about myself. I've been actively campaigning against the use of the Mosquito Teen Deterrent Device in my local area over the last 8 months, and during a youth summit aimed at boosting employment opportunities for young people, I managed to talk to Gordon Brown and spoke to him for five minutes about the issue, explaining how it had a detrimental effect on both under 25s who worked inside the shops and those who visited them as customers.

( see link http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=142151&id=597089621&l=118055638d ).

I have also campaigned greatly against Uni Fee's and have met Nick Clegg whilst delivering a report to Downing Street back in April.
I chair the local Youth Forum and sit on a county wide Youth Council. I have a job as a commis chef, and I'm studying, Physics, Maths, History ad Business at A-Level.

And Finally, I'm extremely excited about sitting in the Chamber, as I guess those who are going are!

So, that's me, perhaps you could tell me about you? Or perhaps you might be so interested you might want to see what I put next :) I'll give you a hint, it'll probably be about the House of Commons event... Hehe.

Only 16 days to go, can't wait to make history, can you?

Oli

No comments:

Post a Comment