Sunday 18 October 2009

The Big 5 - Announced

Hello again!
As you're all probably aware, the five campaigns have been announced for the House of Commons. I would like to quickly share with you some of my work in trying to fulfill the objectives of the political education campaign.

The Political Education campaign, to me, seems very important. I advocate votes at sixteen and so believe that this is the best way to get young people more involved and therefore more willing to vote, should it become possible.

Back in July, I went to No10 Downing Street (Most security I've ever seen in my life!!) for a meeting with two of the Prime Minister's Special Advisers, to showcase the benefits of compulsory political education. They discussed with me the need to change young people's political perspective but believed that the Prime Minister's idea of a fading out of some compulsory lessons, to be more persuasive than mine. Having passed over a manifesto for Gordon Brown, the advisers made it clear that he supports the work of the Youth Parliament because it gives young people a chance to convey their opinions and passions on a formal level.

Furthermore, I was filmed for part of the 'Get Your Vote' BBC documentary about votes at sixteen and the implications of getting the vote. This programme received national coverage and highlights an issue the UK Youth Parliament will be debating in the commons.

In general though, their is a need for youth engagement to be publicised more. I have done a lot of work with national and local media trying to praise the work of the UK Youth Parliament and have been asked on many occasions by the newspapers for my opinions on current issues from Barack Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, to Nick Clegg's stance on renewable energy. This kind of work ensures we are an organisation people know about and are interested in!!

Thanks

Harry

1 comment:

  1. Good blog, most of the blogspot ones have barely any substance to them. It's refreshing to see someone with new ideas. You have my vote :)

    ReplyDelete