Friday 23 October 2009

1 week to go!

Hello again, my dear readers.
Today I'm going to talk a little about the recent political revolutions our country seems to have been undergoing.

I would like to comment on last night's Question Time broadcast. I will not go into party politics, that is not the intention of this post. I would like to say, however, that I have never in my life seen so many young people taking a stand in politics. My facebook account was buzzing with people posting comments on the developments of the programme, discussing it and stating their opinions. I honestly have never seen anything like it. As controversial as the broadcast was, I was rejoicing in the effect it had on young people. Why should we not have more political discussion?! I tell you my opinion - because young people, apart from those actually involved in organisations such as the UKYP, feel they cannot connect with politics. Why? Because they are not taught about politics. This is why I support the UK Youth Parliament Political Education campaign. Votes at 16 would be unproductive if we do not know what we are voting for, or why we are voting. Education allows you to form your own opinions, ignorance forms them for you.

And yes, today I am making an ostentatious fashion statement and wearing my UKYP t-shirt to school. After all, I may be going to Parliament, but I'm certainly taking South Gloucestershre with me!

Thanks for reading, folks!
Fliss

ps. I will be quiet for a few days, as I will be going on holiday this weekend. See you on Monday! (I think)
pps. Fear not, South West, the EMA blog will be next :)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that question time has got young people talking. Are they pro-griffen or against him?

    ReplyDelete